Water in passenger after rain

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Water in passenger after rain

Post by deppstein »

Following several days of driving in hard rain, I noticed that the passenger foot well carpet was damp (under the rubber mat—so not dripping, but seeping). I checked door seals (fine), and looked underneath in wheel well to see if I could find any obvious means of water intrusion. Found nothing. So then I began to Google the issue. Possible heater core failure (nope…it’s water, not antifreeze mixture). Clogged AC discharge hose…nope—ran AC and it drained to pavement. Then ran across discussion of cowl (that piece of plastic that is under wipers between hood and windshield) seal and drains being clogged with debris. So went to work on removing the cowl (pretty easy—take off wipers and unscrew it). With cowl removed, I found the remains of a good sized mouse nest around the cabin air intake—all damp and gross. Cleaned that out. Drivers side by the way was clean. And no water on that side!
So, my suspicion is that the mouse-house debris was blocking the flow of water that ran down windshield while driving in heavy rain, diverting it from its intended path into the cab—which is consistent with the dampness of the carpet from inside firewall down to passenger well.
To finish the job, I’ll reseal the corner of the windshield with Proflex (where I noticed a gap). And I want to locate the cowl drains and clean them out as well. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THEY ARE LOCATED??? Also interested in hearing if anyone else has had similar issue and can enlighten me further than what I have gleaned from my general googling.
Thanks,
David