Tail Lights and Marker Lights Not Working

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
inacioface

Re: Tail Lights and Marker Lights Not Working

Post by inacioface »

Hey chin_k!

I found the issue and now my tail lights and marker lights are working! Thanks again for all your help.

This is what I did to find the problem - I hope this helps someone else. As suggested by chin_k, I used a multimeter to check the connectivity from the rear marker bulb socket to the front Chinook fuse box (the top left 7.5A fuse as pictured in an earlier post) and found that somewhere along the circuit the light brown wire was not connected to the 7.5A fuse in the fuse box. I probed all of the bulb sockets along the rear of the vehicle and none of them were connected to the 7.5A fuse but they were all connected to each other (I verified this by using the connectivity setting on the multimeter). I then went under the vehicle and found the light brown wire that was coming out from under the vehicle (rear corner, driver side) and found that the circuit was still connected to the bulbs. This led me to think that the light brown wire was disconnected somewhere under the vehicle. I checked under the black plastic step cover near the front driver side door and the light brown wire looked fine. I then went back under the rear of the vehicle and found that the light brown wire was disconnected/cut (reference second picture in my earlier post). I probed the cut light brown wire to check for connectivity to the fuse box and it was in fact the wire that connected to the 7.5A fuse! I then found the other end of the light brown wire (which is also connected to the trailer connector) and connected all three wires together (light brown wire to 7.5A fuse, light brown wire to maker lights, and wire to trailer connector). I turned my headlights on the and the marker lights and tail lights also turned on. I think overtime the this connection corroded and the light brown wire got disconnected. It took a lot of trouble shooting and crawling under the vehicle, but in the end it was a very simple fix.

Now onto the next problem: getting the generator to stay on and fixing the heat in the cabin. I'll post this in a separate thread. Thanks again!
1998 Chinook Concourse (Rear Entry) | Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis