Full winterization really necessary?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Full winterization really necessary?

Post by 68camaro »

I use my Concourse alot in winter months, since getting rig I do full winterization (including emptying fresh water tank) before first freeze and on winter trips I use bottled water to drink/cook/wash and pink antifreeze in black/gray tank plus use pink antifreeze to flush toilet. After every 2 - 3 trip I empty tanks and restart.

So my question is that if I keep my furnace on during day and night and while driving the cab heater keeps camper warm, do I really need to empty water tank which is under couch and not use sinks or to flush toilet? Since on trips camper doesn't get to freezing, so if I empty freshwater between trips is there any reason I cannot use the freshwateror onboard?

The pipes under sink can be covered with insulation and I am not sure there any any under rig expect for the black/gray and I keep plenty of antifreeze in there during winter. Even in dead of winter with bath door closed bath doesn't get close to freezing.

Am I missing something? BTW I live in VA and do most of trips in VA/NC/TN but do get up to winter fishing in PA and NY.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
Chinnin-about

Re: Full winterization really necessary?

Post by Chinnin-about »

I think you are correct and can use the water system inside the cabin, provided you keep the ambient temperature above freezing the entire time, and use antifreeze in the under cabin holding tanks.

My furnace cycles about every ten minutes in the cold weather and can virtually blow through a tank of propane in three to four days, so you run the risk of freezing if you're not paying close attention.

For me, I'd rather drain the water system and use my 5 gallon Igloo water jug for weekend excursions, rather than fill and rewinterize my water system.

So, it is personal preference. Either way is fine.
Roly

Post by Roly »

Chinnin,

I keep my'98 Premier in Western Washington, where winter temperatures are moderated by Puget Sound salt water. It will freeze, but not usually deeply nor for long.

I have not winterized for years other than keeping a 600 Watt oil filled mini heater on low when it is freezing. I open the hinged cover over the water tank, Two AGM batteries and a solar controller are now under there as well. The under carriage tanks are empty. So far, no damage.

I had better go outside now and check the heater, as it will freeze tonight.

Roly
1998 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

68camaro, where are you located? How cold does it get? If it is not too cold, you maybe able to get away with having an electric space heater in your rig and have it on shore power. Best is to have a structure to park the rig, since it will be losing a lot of heat.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

The only thing I'd add to be careful of, is the trap under the shower. I had some water go down the shower stall drain once and didn't think to add antifreeze. Cracked that trap.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Roly

Post by Roly »

Bobw9,

Thanks for mentioning that. That could be a vulnerability in my minimal practice. I have not used the shower in there for a while, so maybe it has cracked already.

Writing a sticky note to myself now.

Roly
1998 Premier
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

BobW9 wrote: December 4th, 2022, 10:03 pm The only thing I'd add to be careful of, is the trap under the shower. I had some water go down the shower stall drain once and didn't think to add antifreeze. Cracked that trap.
Good idea, I have totally forgot about this. I'll add some antifreeze.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

chin_k wrote: December 4th, 2022, 9:10 pm 68camaro, where are you located? How cold does it get? If it is not too cold, you maybe able to get away with having an electric space heater in your rig and have it on shore power. Best is to have a structure to park the rig, since it will be losing a lot of heat.
I am in central VA, it can get below freezin at night and in worst part of winter it can stay below freezin for few days but not too long. When I head up to NY/PA I am in and out in few days.

Rig is stored under cover at storage place but no access to electricity. If I was worried I could bring home and hook up to shore power through worst of cold.

Chinnin-about, I never kept my furnace on all day during cold when I am out of rig, which is usually 7 - 10 hours while on water. But I easily keep on over night for dark to dawn which could be 12 - 14 hours and never noticed a big drop in propane usage. Even in winter my tank lasts very long time but I will need to check more with the double usage.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

68camaro, how cold does it get in the storage facility? If they don't fall below 30F for more than half a day, I think you should be fine, since it will take several hours of below freezing temp. to freeze the water. I would find a facility with electricity for the peace of mind and set the electric heater at 40F, for example.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

While traveling to Tucson a few years ago in October and November we kept water in the holding tank to be able to use the toilet. We did bypass and drain the hot water tank. Coldest temp we hit was in Utah at 15 degrees one night near Salt Lake. We made a point of keeping the rig heated. The only issue we had was that one 15 degree night the water pump froze and would not pump. It thawed quickly. Had I left the large access door under the jacknife sofa open I think we we would have been fine. When in cold temps we always leave the cabinets under the sink and bathroom open as all the water lines are fairly localized.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10