Full winterization really necessary?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
BobW9

Re: Full winterization really necessary?

Post by BobW9 »

If you're going to be in really cold temps, you might open the compartment in back, remove the wood enclosure (at least on my Concourse), which gives you access to the few inches between the bottom of the bathroom and the flooring. I found that the hole in the floor for the toilet pipe down into the black tank had about a half inch open all around it. When in very cold weather (teens or lower), the temperature differential had that very cold air blowing into the back area behind the shower at a decent clip. I plugged that up and it is noticeably better now. I opened up under the sink years ago, and removed the internal shore cable setup for an outlet and separate cable for shore access, so under my sink is wide open to around behind the shower, where the pipes go. Keeping everything open that way keeps my pipes, so far :), from freezing. Oh, and bathroom door, like SMan does.
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
Chinnin-about

Re: Full winterization really necessary?

Post by Chinnin-about »

BobW9 wrote: December 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm I found that the hole in the floor for the toilet pipe down into the black tank had about a half inch open all around it. When in very cold weather (teens or lower), the temperature differential had that very cold air blowing into the back area behind the shower at a decent clip. I plugged that up and it is noticeably better now.
Funny you should mention this. I had the same issue, and I found this is where the mice were getting in. I stuffed the gap with steel wool and caulked it in and sealed it. Made a huge difference.