1997 Premier - add backup camera

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
russellsunn

1997 Premier - add backup camera

Post by russellsunn »

We've been researching these systems and find an overwhelming variety of models and features available. What types have those in the forum used and what are the opinions of the results? We're thinking of a rear view mirror style that is hard wired, as opposed to wireless, too avoid signal interference issues. Thanks for your input.
Roly

Re: 1997 Premier - add backup camera

Post by Roly »

Russell,

Here is what I installed on my 1998 Premier:
< https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-s ... 70923.html>

A wired model that has worked well for 6 years or so. It seems like a robust commercial type model. The company has a number of variations, and gives Veterans a 10% discount. I mounted the monitor on a base velcro'd to a console cup holder insert bit.

I bought it online and had a local car stereo shop install it. I have it on when the engine is on, rather than just for backup.

Roly
1998 Premier
russellsunn

Post by russellsunn »

I suppose the 7" screen is adequate for you. I've found many for sale with 10" and 12" screens.

Thanks for your post,
Russ
Roly

Post by Roly »

Hi,

Mine is old enough that they might not have had bigger monitors yet.
Where and how to mount the thing may be a more complex problem with a large one.
I see some mirror/monitor combinations that they did not have back then.

Roly
1998 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

russellsunn wrote: December 13th, 2022, 3:40 pm I suppose the 7" screen is adequate for you. I've found many for sale with 10" and 12" screens.

Thanks for your post,
Russ
10 inch? must be one of those skinny ones that is mounted on the mirror, right? A more reasonable ratio (more square-ish) screen that size will be too large for the dash, and probably should be mounted between the seats.

I would go for the one with better camera sensor that can give you clear picture day and nights. The one I got have a slight lag due to being wireless, and it kind of irritates me since I am used to seeing thing at the speed of light (optical mirror) but got used to it after a while. The best thing about the backup camera is that I can turn it on all the time while driving, so that I can see cars approaching from the back in some of the blind spots. I have not seen any signal interference issue, but on several occasions, I do have to reboot the camera for the signal to sync up properly.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
russellsunn

Post by russellsunn »

Haven't purchased camera system yet. Any thoughts on dash vs rearview mirror screen, and wired vs wireless system? Thanks!
Blewett

Post by Blewett »

I have a back up camera integrated into my upgraded head unit. The screen is smallish but I find it adequate. The night feature on the camera sucks though. It all came with the camper when I bought it so I don't have many details. Most double din radios have the ability to hook up rear view cameras. I am thinking of upgrading my camera to one with better night vision.

I personally would go with wired. Much less potential problems.
1997 Ford E-350 Chinook Concourse Side Entry.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I got one that is wireless. With most of our rigs around 21 ft, it is not a concern for most wireless ones. I mounted it above the rear door, and it gets it power from one of the running lights, and I also tap into the DC wires above the door to get it to be on when the DC is on for security purpose.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Chin—what make/model wireless backup camera did you get? The one I have had for almost 6 years just died and I need to replace it.
Thanks,
David
SMan

Post by SMan »

When I installed a camera I ended up putting in one and use it full time as my rear view mirror as well as a backup cam. The most work was running the wire from the camera above the rear entry door to the 7" head unit which I attached to the mirror. I ran the wire along the drivers side along the water tank, behind the sink cabinet and up behind the rear compartment to the cam. It works good and is much better than the mirror which looks thru the clouded window on my rear door. ;) I think I posted a thread about it.

A wireless camera would be a much easier way to go.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10