reduce the size of attachments or upgrade the hosting package?

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
Manitou
Site Admin

reduce the size of attachments or upgrade the hosting package?

Post by Manitou »

The site has grown over the years and is starting to get warnings about storage space. 1 option is to reduce the allowable size of attachments. I increased to accommodate some large pdf's, but that also allowed larger then needed photos to be posted. I've opened a ticket with the hosting company to inquire about upgrade options. The only option their control panel gives me is to go unlimited (for a rather hefty increase in monthly fee of course).
The site is still used, but it's about half of the traffic that we had back in it's hay day. Maybe new owners are preferring some other site.
Just wanted to get some feedback... thoughts?
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: reduce the size of attachments or upgrade the hosting package?

Post by deppstein »

Manitou--From time-to-time, I have taken a look at other Chinook sites and forums and found that none can compare with the utility of this site. The way that the site is set-up, it's user friendliness, and the organization of topics coupled with the search function has made this site incredibly useful for me over the years. I personally don't need the larger photo option--BUT, if others have found that useful, or if you feel that is necessary to keep the current functionality of the site, I am happy to contribute. I don't know how much money you are talking about as the "hefty increase in monthly fees," but I would certainly be willing to contribute the equivalent of $5-10/month to keep this site up and running. So many improvements to my Rig are attributable to what I have learned from folks on this site...not to mention the pleasure I get from just conversing and learning what others are up to even if it doesn't pertain to me directly.
If you have a $$$ figure in mind that we should contribute, let us know. In the meantime, I'm going to put another $50 into the Tip Jar just for good measure. Happy Holidays, and thanks for all you do to keep us up and running.
Best,
David
terriv
**Forum Contributor**

Post by terriv »

Manitou. This is by far THE best Chinook site & forum. The go to site to find help, tips & great ideas. I dont need the larger photo option either.
Please keep us updated on your decision. You are doing great. Yes, it is PayPal Tip Jar time !
Merry Christmas all!
Terri
2000 Concourse Dinette 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10
Go Wagon
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Thanks guys. It's good to hear this site is still useful. The hosting facility got back to me with an "add-on" option rather then the "upgrade" option. While still significantly more then I currently pay, it is less then upgrading everything (stuff we don't need). Also, some of you have sent "tips" since I posted this. We're good for another year. Much appreciated. I'll leave the picture size limit the way it is and tell the hosting place we need the "add-on space" when we just can't wait any more (I suspect a month or 3).
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Manitou, this is great site and I for one am very appreciative of it. l Personally I do not feel larger pics would help so I am happy as is, but to be honest I can't remember last time and if I donated so I will fix that today.

I think usage may be down as fewer Chinooks are trading hands, and the new owners I believe are heaviest users as they try to understand rigs. I am one of these, I have 528 posts, and I bet they mostly revolve around my questions trying to learn and upgrade my rig. Now when I post it is trying to help others but I am not most knowledgable as others so my responses are few.

Also, the wealth of information contained in the forum is vast, so using "search" alone one can answer most all their questions.

I don't do social media so I have no idea of other resources there, but this is my go to forum for all Chinook and I have one other other portal I use for general "Overlanding" topics.

Thanks
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I think most of the Classified attachments can be deleted after a year or if the item was sold, if that helps with the file space.

One of the great features is search function, since it helps getting the answers without reading the whole forum. For the most part, users of the forum seem to do some reading before posting, since I do not see repeated question much.

The social media sites are great for posting trip and causal photos. Because they have practically unlimited resource, and that is what social thing to do. One good thing there is that you can really do a step-by-step photo documentation of a build out. It is a bit of a pain to do it on this forum.

However, one negative thing about the social sites is that new people there often ask the same questions again and again. I don't blame them, since it is not easy to find any info, and the sites are meant to be like someone with memory problem... you see the same question coming up again and again, like someone have amnesia (well, a different person, but you got the idea). And the flow of discussion is not linear, and it is a big of a pain for anyone to get help with troubleshooting since the tree-structure of the conversation makes it difficult to know who say what first.

It can be a disadvantage for a forum like this when it comes to activity. As it get more matured, the number of posts will naturally decline. Unlike the social sites, no one really read the old posts, so they will keep reiterate. Here, when a topic is covered, we tend to able to help ourselves with the information, and ask question if needed for clarification, etc.

Anyway, I think most of the classified attachments can be deleted after a year or if the item was sold, if that helps with the file space, but did I said that before?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

that's a good idea chin_k, thanks! I'll see if there's a setting to "prune" that classified section after a year.
update: it's done. I'll have to wait a day to see the updated space report, but hopefully it helped.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Can you limit the size of the photos uploaded? Then maybe give a couple members admin access and let them go threw the forum and resize all of the large images? I always download images from my camera and cut the size down to 30% - 35%. Most images direct from my camera run at least 3 MB and after i resize them they average 500KB. I downloaded the entire forum onto my computer a couple of months back using HTTrack and then backed it up onto an external drive in case it ever crashes or goes offline.

You should post a physical mailbox address so those who dont use online payment systems can send you tips. I for one quit paypal over 5 years ago and with the latest scandel of paypal trying to swindel people out of money im glad i did.
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

I can limit the attachment size, but can't set different sizes for different attachment types (a limit for pics would also limit pdf's). I've asked for an admin volunteer before, but no takers back then.
As for an address, I use one at the Escappe's mailbox service. I'm happy to pm it to anyone that asks for it, but would rather not invite all the junk mail thst might come from posting it publicly. A lot of people seem to push patreon, but I've never looked into setting it up. Anyone interested in that?
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

I dont know anything about Patreon. I dont use any pay services online for obvious reasons. Im certainly not opposed to supporting your efforts via snail mail, but i simply refuse to use online payment services of any type.