Running wiring from battery compartment to overhead storage compartment

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Running wiring from battery compartment to overhead storage compartment

Post by chin_k »

BobW9,
Can you find a 19V 4A boost converter for me, please? :D

Seriously, that is a good find there. Should work if the current draw can handle the TV's. The most popular voltage for monitors and TVs I see in stores is 19V, and most of them have a inverter inside to drop the voltage to various levels for different components as low as 3V DC.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
BobW9

Re: Running wiring from battery compartment to overhead storage compartment

Post by BobW9 »

Interesting, it does seem like there must be plenty of 19V appliances used in cars and trucks, as I'm seeing quite a few converters that are designed for that - they take nominal 12V input and boost it to 19V (and specific to cars, as they all seem designed to handle input range from 9-16V). Some of them are solid and waterproof, so I'd guess they are used aftermarket to put inside the vehicle engine area, or attached to the frame, maybe?

5A and 10A versions: DC 12V Boost to 19V 10A 190W Boost Converter Power Converter Waterproof Module Transformer is Used for Golf cart, CLU bcarand Other Vehicles, for $20.99

20A version, and Uxcell is a very reputable company: uxcell Voltage Converter Regulator DC/DC DC 12V Step-Up to DC 19V 20A 380W Power Boost Transformer Waterproof, $42.49. This is probably what I would choose, as I have other electronic stuff from Uxcell and I trust them more than some Chinese company I've never heard of. Though the packaging does look about the same, so maybe they're all from the same manufacturer, and it's just me paying more for the Uxcell name?

I bought my Planar monitor specifically because it has an external power brick supplying DC to the monitor. My other monitor, a Lenovo, has the AC-DC conversion done internally, so there was no way to switch that to supplying DC directly to it (no way will I take a monitor apart).
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10