2007 Summit- Gen Run Issue

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
TheIceKing

2007 Summit- Gen Run Issue

Post by TheIceKing »

So I am looking at buying a used Summit 2700 and found that the RV has 1/2 tank of fuel (enough tot run generator); however the generator will only run for 30 seconds before shutting off. But when I have the RV running, the generator starts and runs fine. Not sure what is causing this issue? Anyone have any thoughts?
TheIceKing

Re: 2004 Summit- Gen Run Issue

Post by TheIceKing »

TheIceKing wrote: April 8th, 2023, 9:33 am So I am looking at buying a used Summit 2700 and found that the RV has 1/2 tank of fuel (enough tot run generator); however the generator will only run for 30 seconds before shutting off. But when I have the RV running, the generator starts and runs fine. Not sure what is causing this issue? Anyone have any thoughts?
caconcourse

Re: 2007 Summit- Gen Run Issue

Post by caconcourse »

TheIceKing wrote: April 8th, 2023, 9:33 am So I am looking at buying a used Summit 2700 and found that the RV has 1/2 tank of fuel (enough tot run generator); however the generator will only run for 30 seconds before shutting off. But when I have the RV running, the generator starts and runs fine. Not sure what is causing this issue? Anyone have any thoughts?
I have a Concourse, so I am not sure the Summit is wired exactly the same. In my unit, the generator 12V power including the starter is connected to the house batteries, rather than the truck battery. It could be the Summit house batteries are old or weak and aren't providing 12V under load to keep the generator running. When the engine is running, the truck battery (and alternator) are connected to the house batteries and augment the 12V supply. The generator needs 12V to power the circuit card, fuel pump, starter etc. If the generator runs fine with the engine running, there is probably nothing wrong with the generator itself, but the house batteries and connections may be suspect.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA