Where did everyone go?

Off topic, tall tales, general chit-chat.
JabberBox

Where did everyone go?

Post by JabberBox »

I have been on the forum since i purchased my Chinook back in 2014. The forum use to be quite lively and lots of folks participated.
What has happened? Where has everyone gone? :|
Last edited by JabberBox on May 19th, 2023, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Where did everyone go?

Post by Scott »

Speaking for myself: The vanlife craze hit full-swing, then covid injected a huge dose of insanity into RVing, coupled with the subsequent social media, and a few other factors that all made for a new set of challenges while camping. I.e. it's more difficult to find quiet boondocking spots. We still camp, but the trips are longer distance and less frequent. Or we just go down to the nearby beaches/campgrounds.

I work on my Chinook all the time, but all of the major stuff that I wanted to do has been completed, so now it's simple maintenance or things that aren't really worth posting about. And sadly Blue~Go isn't visiting any longer, and since he was informative, engaging, and fun to read, it stands to reason that traffic has slowed. Further, our rigs are getting quite old and they're finding newer, younger owners so it's sort of a cycle-of-life situation.

I enjoy following the progress of your van. You are in DEEP and it should turn out very nice.
1994 Premier
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Large part is due to the vanlife craze, like what Scott said, but some members here are more vocal and engaging than others, so if they don't visit as often, it can be a bit more quiet.

Part of the thing is that the forum archive the posting, and some people can just do a search, and get the info they need. For some other sites, they tends to encourage a short term memory conversation. It maybe better for those who like to be more social, but not useful for people who wants good information.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I am on quite a bit checking but I really don't have technical ability to add much. I chime in when I can but its more on superficial or experience issues.

The knowledge base here is very deep so proper search words turns up answers to most things as well.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

After nearly 10 years of owning my Rig, I have pretty much made all of the mechanical improvements that Forum Users have suggested, and completed all of the other “projects” that I wanted /needed to fit my particular use parameters. During those first several years of ownership when the learning curve was steep, I was logging on several times per week. The Forum was THE PLACE where I went online to get and share information. And, it felt social as much as technically informative.
These days, I don’t have as much need for the information, and as 68 Camaro pointed out, you can search for almost anything you need at this point. So, I think the informative value is still there. I still log on weekly, and post if I feel as though I have something worthwhile to say. But, for me, the social nature of the exchanges amongst Forum members has changed. Makes sense—times change, people change.
David
SMan

Post by SMan »

"But, for me, the social nature of the exchanges amongst Forum members has changed"

I feel the same way.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Flame
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Flame »

I agree. I have now owned my rig for several years and have logged many thousand miles on it in a few short years! Everything is the way I like it on my rig now but this forum helped me with EVERY aspect of getting it that way. We made a trip from east Texas all the way to Maine and cape Cod and all new England states! And...just got back from a fishing trip on Lake St. Claire in Canada! We drove to Detroit and on the way back went a different route and stopped in Kentucky at the ARK ADVEVTURE and then on down to Pigeon Forge and Smokey mountains again! We LOVE our "Land Shark"!!
1998 Concourse V-10 Triton....AKA...Land Shark
Manitou
Site Admin

Post by Manitou »

Just talking out loud here, but it's my guess that when the new models go out of warranty and come down in price; we'll see an uptick. I have no idea when (if) that might be.
I've written and deleted a few sentences trying to express my feelings about this site a few times now.. can't see to find the words. Suffice to say they were filled with joy, gratitude, and a bit of sadness.
Side note, I just found/fixed an issue with email notifications. Sorry to anyone that tried to sign up recently and didn't receive the required email authentication message. Google got more secure about what it will accept and I wasn't aware there was an issue until today.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Well thank you for keeping it up and running for as long as you have Manitou.
JabberBox

Post by JabberBox »

Nevermind, theyre all over on facebook instead of supporting the forum that originally brought this community together.