Upgraded Chinook RV Roof: Enhanced Power and Connectivity

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
M_MINCEY

Upgraded Chinook RV Roof: Enhanced Power and Connectivity

Post by M_MINCEY »

Around a year and a half ago, I decided to enhance my Chinook RV by upgrading the coach batteries. I replaced the 12-volt 100 Ah FLA batteries with 12-volt 125 Ah AGM batteries, and in my opinion, this upgrade made a noticeable difference, especially considering the price point. With the battery upgrade completed, my next plan was to improve my solar power system, but it had to wait until I could make it more affordable for me.

Finally, this year, after careful procurement of the necessary components, I was able to purchase the items and more for my RV roof project modifications. The centerpiece of the upgrade was the replacement of my existing 50-watt solar panels with new 300-watt panels, offering a substantial increase in power generation. This upgrade also allowed me to reserve space on the roof for additional panels of around 100 watts, which I plan to install in the future. The improved solar setup will undoubtedly contribute to a more efficient and sustainable power supply on my RV adventures.

In addition to the solar panel upgrade, I decided to replace my antenna with a KING Jack HDTV Directional Over-the-Air Antenna with Mount and Signal Finder. This change ensures high-quality television reception during my travels. Furthermore, I added a SureCall omni-directional cellular antenna to enhance my connectivity on the road, allowing for better reception and improved communication capabilities.

To complete the modifications, I installed two MAXXAIR Maxx II Vent Covers. These covers enable me to keep my fan vents open while driving, promoting better airflow and ventilation inside the RV. The added convenience and functionality of these vent covers have greatly improved my overall experience.

Undertaking this project would not have been possible without the assistance of some knowledgeable individuals who provided valuable guidance and support along the way. Their expertise helped me make informed decisions and ensure that the modifications were carried out effectively.

I wanted to share some images of my upgraded Chinook RV roof to inspire and inform fellow RV enthusiasts who may be considering similar improvements in the future. If you're interested in enhancing your RV's power capacity, connectivity, and ventilation, I encourage you to explore the possibilities and embark on your own RV roof project modifications. The results can be truly rewarding and enhance the enjoyment of your RV lifestyle.

IMG_20230426_101706770_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230427_111531154_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230426_102831882_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230427_111230613_HDR.jpg
2002 Chinook Destiny 2400 XL Class B w/Chevy 8.1 Vortec Engine.
M_MINCEY

Re: Upgraded Chinook RV Roof: Enhanced Power and Connectivity

Post by M_MINCEY »

Here are some additional images of my modifications:

IMG_20230426_100217013_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230427_110616730_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230427_110801675_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230427_112456428_HDR.jpg
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

That's a very nice post. Thank you for taking the time to put it together. Easy to read, informative, and pictures to boot. That's a dandy roof!
1994 Premier
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Great upgrades and post. I am happy where my rig sits now so I haven't done much lately, but I may steal some of your upgrade options as they seem very worthwhile.

Chuck
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

I agree—very informative and helpful post…thanks for taking the time to do it. You are in the running for Best Roof of 2023!”
I’ve been thinking of doing similar battery upgrade, perhaps with solar, and curious as to what you used for a controller from the solar panels, how wired, and where mounted. How does all this integrate with your existing electrical system? What did you have to change or modify?
David
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

I'd like to add to Davids questions what brand and model solar panels are you running?
M_MINCEY

Post by M_MINCEY »

Thank you everyone for the kinds words, I'll try to answer most of your questions to the best of my ability. I recently embarked on a journey to upgrade my RV's solar system while keeping my expenses in check. With a focus on affordability, I opted for a combination of items sourced from Amazon and directly from the manufacturer. Throughout this process, I aimed to maximize savings without compromising on functionality.

To start, my RV already had a Xantrex PRO Inverter XM 1000 and a DLS-55 w/IQ4 Smart Charge Controller, which made the transition smoother. However, the existing Siemens SM50-H 50 Watt Solar panel proved insufficient, prompting me to seek alternatives. After consulting with fellow RV enthusiasts, we decided to follow the existing wiring and replaced any 12-gauge cables connected to the Specialty Concepts MARK/15-12-S9 Charge Controller with Powerwerx 10-gauge cables.

In terms of charge controllers, I removed the original one and installed the EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 30A Tracer3210AN along with the Remote Meter MT50 and Temp Sensor Cable. This combination, priced at $124.99, provided a solid option at an attractive price point.

For the solar panels themselves, I opted for the Newpowa 50W Monocrystalline Solar Panel, priced at $59.50 each. With dimensions of 29.13 x 14.37 x 1.18 inches, these panels fit my requirements perfectly, and I purchased two of them. Additionally, I chose the HQST 9BB Cell 100W Solar Panel, priced at $72.99 each, and acquired two units.

By carefully selecting these components, I managed to keep my solar upgrade expenses under $400. Impressive, considering the significant impact on my RV's charging capabilities.

While procuring the major components was crucial, I also had to acquire several smaller items to ensure a seamless installation. These included the Renogy Corner Bracket Solar Panel Roof Drill-Free Mount for RV, Link Solar Weatherproof ABS Solar Double Cable Entry Gland, CMYYANGLIN Solar Panel Mounting Brackets Z Bracket with Nuts and Bolts, LINKPAL Branch Connectors Y Connector in Pair MMF+FFM for Parallel Connection Between Solar Panels, Renogy 20A Male and Female Connector Waterproof in-Line Holder with Fuse, 3M VHB Heavy Duty Mounting Tape 4950, Roof Sealant, and more.

In total, my solar upgrade cost me less than $600. It's worth noting that I'm not an electrician, but with the assistance of knowledgeable associates, I successfully executed this project. Thus far, I haven't encountered any issues, and my batteries remain consistently topped off, which is truly a blessing.

Overall, this cost-effective solar upgrade has been a worthwhile investment for my RV. It has enhanced my energy independence on the road and allowed me to enjoy extended periods off-grid without worrying about power supply.

If you're looking to improve your RV's solar system without breaking the bank, I highly recommend considering a similar approach. However, it's crucial to consult with knowledgeable individuals or professionals to ensure a safe and effective installation.

Note: I will include images of the controller as mentioned in the review for a more comprehensive understanding of the setup.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Great info, thanks. This will save some of us tons of time trying to recreate from scratch.

Chuck
M_MINCEY

Post by M_MINCEY »

This is my final post on this topic, here are a few additional images of the inside solar controller positioning in my rig. Thanks again for all of your replies.

GH010341-4.jpg
IMG_20230609_180840317.jpg
IMG_20230609_180946433.jpg
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Again, thanks for these posts. I found them to be really interesting and helpful. Much Food for Thought.
David