Upgraded Chinook RV Roof: Enhanced Power and Connectivity

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Upgraded Chinook RV Roof: Enhanced Power and Connectivity

Post by chin_k »

Thank you for posting your upgrade, and it looks very clean and professional. Great job!

The following is my comment. For my upgrade, I used the Epever TRIRON series. I was able to use the original DC power switch to turn the load of the controller on and off with some modification. My suggestion is to move the controller closer to the battery compartment. I mounted mine where the LVD used to be, since I don't think you need that anymore. The reason for the relocation is that you want the wire between the controller and the batteries to be as short (and thick) as possible, and the LVD location is great for that as well as a short path for the temperature sensor. Since you will be using the MT-50 to remote it, you can just use a long ethernet cable between the controller and the remote. The wire between the solar panel and the controller will be longer, obviously, but since it usually at a higher voltage and only need to go one-way (the wire between the controller and the batteries will go the opposite direction when you turn on the load at night), and the controller can deal with the slight voltage lost due from the panel better. Another reason to keep the controller at the LVD place is that the overhead area will be less cluttered if there is just the MT-50 at the old controller location.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis