AGM to Lithium, do I need to change Isolator or upgrade alternator?

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Re: AGM to Lithium, do I need to change Isolator or upgrade alternator?

Post by 68camaro »

Finally got DC/DC charger fully installed to keep my 3 new Lithium batteries and alternator safe and sound. Below are pics of finished battery compartment. 3rd battery went to right of partition wall.

DC/DC charger went on far wall since it produces alot of heat and didn't want to close to batteries even though they are not lead acid. Previous owner or someone drilled a 1 1/2 inch hole which was perfectly placed for heat to dissipate or cool air to get in. I have heard that putting a small temp controlled fan blowing on dc/dc charger improves performance. I may be looking to do in future.

Also, cleaned up lines by putting a bus bar with cover to take some load of direct battery terminal. Also added extra lenght to wires so I can take out charger or batteries without disconnect anything to get space to work in area.

HOWEVER, I made one mistake, I forgot one final step in picture of DC/DC charger, any guesses?
D27945D0-A779-4E2E-A2AE-DF839EAD1849.jpeg
E9A5A16A-D241-4DC5-A8A2-7CF87F653692.jpeg
09AF85B6-61F1-4DC4-8796-A8AC3922F86D.jpeg
tempImage9pz3Kx.gif
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

You forget to heat-gun your shrink wrap?
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

chin_k wrote: September 11th, 2023, 7:19 am You forget to heat-gun your shrink wrap?
Winner winner chicken dinner. Was rushing to finish up. Also used red ferrel on black line, will just wrap the red peaking out in black tape to avoid any confusion.
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

Camaro, Is the "IN" wire fused all the way from your chassis battery? I see the breaker in your photo, but if that's the only protection, then that's not an ideal location...
1994 Premier
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Scott wrote: September 11th, 2023, 1:25 pm Camaro, Is the "IN" wire fused all the way from your chassis battery? I see the breaker in your photo, but if that's the only protection, then that's not an ideal location...
Scott, the "IN" red wire is connected thru the Spartan fuse to a buss bar where the alternator wire is connected. The "Out" wire goes to the coach battery bank. The Victron Manual has a schematic recommending this.

I also kept the Chinnoks Eaton isolator under the hood in place as well.

Do you recommend something different?

Chuck
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

I was curious if the Spartan breaker is the only protection between the Orion and the chassis battery. If so, you don't want it where it's shown in your photo. Ideally you want the protection as close to the power source as possible. I can see very little of your system, so I wanted to ask rather than assume.
1994 Premier
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

Scott wrote: September 13th, 2023, 12:22 pm I was curious if the Spartan breaker is the only protection between the Orion and the chassis battery. If so, you don't want it where it's shown in your photo. Ideally you want the protection as close to the power source as possible. I can see very little of your system, so I wanted to ask rather than assume.
Fair question, I also have the Eaton under hood isolator inbetween as well

Moving the Spartan is easy enough now that I have the tools to make my own wires. Next time I need project to play with this will be on the list.

Thanks.