Concourse Fuse Block

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
VTSweetpea

Concourse Fuse Block

Post by VTSweetpea »

I'm trying to track down an electrical issue with my 2001 Concourse. As many of you know, Trail Wagons installed an additional fuse block under the driver's side dash. It is used to provide power to such things as the power mirrors, the heated /cooled cup holders, and other added accessories. What many also know is that one side of this fuse block is constant power and the other side is tied to the ignition switch so that it is only powered when the switch is in the ON or ACC position.
My issue is that the switched power side is no longer getting power when the ignition is turned on.
There are numerous posts on this forum which detail that the constant power side draws from the high power block in the engine bay. And, I have verified that I still have power on that side.
So my question is "how does power go from the ignition switch to the Trail Wagons installed fuse block?"
Also suggestions on what else I should check?
BTW, I have checked and confirmed that all fuses in all 3 fuse blocks are good as well as several that I discovered when I took the dash apart. Confirmed with a meter.
2001 Concourse 4x4
VTSweetpea

Re: Concourse Fuse Block

Post by VTSweetpea »

Update FWIW. Still haven't been able to trace the path from the ignition switch to the TW fuse block. Going to plan B. Since the constant power is live and there is nothing currently feeding off any of the fuse slots on that side, I'm going to tap into that line and feed the dead side of the block. To make sure that I don't leave something on when I shutdown the vehicle I am going to put a red LED SPST toggle switch on this feed to make sure I switch it off.
Not the way I'd like to resolve this but 2 days of trying to trace wires is enough!
2001 Concourse 4x4
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Do you have a wire tracer? Some people use a toner/tracer that transmits a tone, and they use a hand wand to find the wire that emitting the tone. It may be useful for this.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

VTSweetpea wrote: October 18th, 2023, 4:03 pmI'm going to tap into that line and feed the dead side of the block. To make sure that I don't leave something on when I shutdown the vehicle I am going to put a red LED SPST toggle switch on this feed to make sure I switch it off.
After two days of troubleshooting, I understand your frustration. If you're through looking, maybe try to find another known ignition-switched wire. Use it to automatically switch a new relay rather than a manual toggle? There's one at the stereo, and there are a couple in the driver's side foot well in my van.
1994 Premier
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

chin_k wrote: October 18th, 2023, 6:32 pm Do you have a wire tracer? Some people use a toner/tracer that transmits a tone, and they use a hand wand to find the wire that emitting the tone. It may be useful for this.
Chin_k I considered buying a wire tracer. But after looking at the bundles of wires under the dash and the hood, all of them wrapped in tape or flex conduit. I decided it wasn't worth it. Maybe if I had a wiring diagram of how Trail Wagons wired these fuse blocks, I would have made an effort.
2001 Concourse 4x4
VTSweetpea

Post by VTSweetpea »

Scott wrote: October 19th, 2023, 5:45 am
VTSweetpea wrote: October 18th, 2023, 4:03 pmI'm going to tap into that line and feed the dead side of the block. To make sure that I don't leave something on when I shutdown the vehicle I am going to put a red LED SPST toggle switch on this feed to make sure I switch it off.
After two days of troubleshooting, I understand your frustration. If you're through looking, maybe try to find another known ignition-switched wire. Use it to automatically switch a new relay rather than a manual toggle? There's one at the stereo, and there are a couple in the driver's side foot well in my van.
Thanks for the suggestion, Scott. I thought about a relay but the space under the drivers side dash is quite congested. The Chinook installed fuse blocks were actually hung with zip ties! Given the space restrictions, I was able to actually secure the fuse blocks with screws and then do my wiring work around. AND still get the dash back together without wires hanging out from under!
2001 Concourse 4x4