Manchester Propane Tank Shut Off Valve

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
cidevco

Manchester Propane Tank Shut Off Valve

Post by cidevco »

For all of you who have a leaky handle when you turn on and off your propane cylinder, there is a simple and inexpensive replacement part that can be bought from your local propane supplier.

My on/off knob started to leak when I turned the cylinder on and off. Just recently in prepping for a new trip I usually test everything before I leave and found my Propane Tank leaking in the off position. I took pictures of the valve and went over to the place I fill my tank and showed them the picture of the valve and they told me all I have to do is to replace the stem. I told them my tank was 3/4 full and didn't want to loose the propane. They told me that the propane tank on ALL RV's have a automatic shut off valve and this stem is easily replaced with NO loss of propane. I bought the valve (see pic) for part number. The only thing you need to know is that the threads are reversed, so Turning the nut to the right loosens and turn to the left tightens. It took me less than 5 minute to change the stem. The only surprise was the POP of the safety valve when the stem cam out. Once you install the new stem, as you tighten the stem in it automatically resets the safety valve and you are on your way.

I hope this help everyone .

The part is $15.00 and all you need is a 5/8" deep socket and a ratchet to remove the stem.
Attachments
Propane Valve.pdf
(616.84 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
noluck

Re: Manchester Propane Tank Shut Off Valve

Post by noluck »

very cool, thank you! did you have a smell of propane when the tank was shut off?
1995 chinook concourse soon to be cummins power
cidevco

Post by cidevco »

Yes that was what alerted me. I first thought it was one of the appliances. The smell was the strongest at the tank location which lead me to soapy water testing all over the tank to look for the leak.
noluck

Post by noluck »

i get a small odor of propane by my tank, i will soap it and see
1995 chinook concourse soon to be cummins power