Power to the living quarters shuts off??

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
fordo1922@gmail.com

Power to the living quarters shuts off??

Post by fordo1922@gmail.com »

Hello,
I have a 2000 Chinook Concourse. I am in the process of trying to problem solve an issue involving the power to the living quarters. While the vehicle is running everything works fine. Once I shut off the vehicle I get about 10-15 minutes of battery usage before my battery separator clicks on and kills all power. So, I know that when the vehicle is not running, all the appliances in the back are operating on my vehicle battery because the battery separator is doing it's job. Both the batteries are brand new and are holding full charges. My thought is that it may be the auto-reset circuit breakers that are wired to the Low Voltage Disconnect. I hopped under the vehicle today after reading another post and looking over the electrical schematic.
I took off the white cover where the auto-reset circuit breakers are located and they looked to be in rough shape. I will replace them either way , but wanted to get some more knowledge from the forum as to what this may be. Thanks
caconcourse

Re: Power to the living quarters shuts off??

Post by caconcourse »

Although your breakers may be worn out, the truck battery should use the same electrical path as the coach batteries to power the coach appliances when the separator is engaged. In other words, the truck power should use those breakers as well as coach batteries.

You can test your theory by pressing the "boost" button to force the isolator to close and see if the lights come back on. If they do, there may be some other thing going on with the battery cabling. Normally the separator is between a cable from the truck battery and a cable that leads to the positive battery terminal of the coach battery. The coach shouldn't know where the power comes from since it draws from the same battery post through the LVD.

Good luck with your troubleshooting.
Clay
2001 Concourse
Santa Barbara, CA
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Furthermore, you said both batteries are new, and hold full charge, but try to measure the voltage at the LVD input and the battery terminals, and make sure it is also at full voltage there in both places after the power got cut off unexpectedly.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
fordo1922@gmail.com

Post by fordo1922@gmail.com »

Thank you! The problem is solved. I replaced both the 50 amp and 15 amp auto-resetting breakers. More importantly, the ground wire which was fastened to the frame via tech screw, had come off due to the tech screw rusting out. Once I re-fastened with a new tech screw everything began to work properly. Thank you for your help.
Jesse