2000 Chinook Premier Loose Outlet

Split from General / Technical for discussion of anything electrical, electronic... 12v, Inverter, Satellite, Headlights, flashlights etc.
orionsauter

2000 Chinook Premier Loose Outlet

Post by orionsauter »

Hi all,

My parents recently gave us their Chinook that took them around the country, and we're still learning, but they suggested this site as a great resource. Lately one of the overhead AC outlets has come loose:
IMG_6395 (1).png
I can't see anything that's broken/missing, but I also can't see how it was attached in the first place – Might have just been press-fit, but pushing it back in doesn't help. The opposite side is covered by the floor of the storage cabinet above. Anyone have similar experience or suggestions?

Thanks,
Orion
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: 2000 Chinook Premier Loose Outlet

Post by deppstein »

Orion...lucky you to have inherited the Rig, and welcome to the Forum.
I just went out to take a look at the AC outlets in our Rig (a 2004 Chinook Premier). They are not identical to the one in your picture, but similar--no screws or other evidence of attachment from the exposed side. So, I am led to believe that the outlet is secured from the backside (i.e.; the side inside the cubby), and getting to the screws that hold it would require somehow removing a section of the fabric. Your picture also seemed to show some plastic "catches" that seem to hold the outlet itself to the plate...so, I'm guessing here, I think that those clips are worn/broken and that's why outlet is dropped from flush with the plate. If you think all that is correct, then seems to me you have two choices. The easy fix would be to resecure the outlet to plate in some fashion...quick 5 minute epoxy along the edge of the outlet and pressing it back in place (holding for the epoxy to cure) would look best, but you could also just use black electrical tape. If the outlet is working, I would opt for either of those. But, if outlet is not working (and you want/need it), then I think replacement--carefully cutting fabric (saving the piece to reinstall)--is required.
Hope this helps. Let us know how it all goes.
David
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

No fabric cutting is required to access the outlets. Below are general instructions, along with some photos from my Concourse (only 4 per post, so the last 3 are in a second post after this one).

1) Empty the overhead compartment.
2) Unscrew the wood dividers and remove them.
3) unscrew the carpeted floor (there are flat white head phillips screws that almost match my carpet).
4) unscrew and remove the 2 end pieces (one covers the entire end, while the other just has a shape following the ceiling).
5) unscrew and remove the long slender back piece. You'll find cabling back there running along the wall.
6) now you can finally lift up the near end of the carpeted floor and brace it open. There is no way to remove it, it is just one large solid piece.
7) I included a photo of the back of the outlets used in mine. I've never done anything with them, but it appears kind of solid to me - maybe the middle which is sagging for you clips in place? or the screws are dark or too small to see in my slightly blurry photo (it is a crop of a larger photo, the lens was not focusing on the outlet).
Overhead-fixtures-access_1_1000.jpg
Overhead-fixtures-access_2_1000.jpg
Overhead-fixtures-access_3_1000.jpg
Overhead-fixtures-access_4_1000.jpg
2000 Concourse, Ford Triton 6.8 V10
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Here's the last 3 photos.
Overhead-fixtures-access_5_1000.jpg
Overhead-fixtures-access_6_1000.jpg
Overhead-fixtures-access_7_outlet-closeup_1000.jpg
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

I just pulled the faceplate of one of my outlets (it just snaps in place, to cover the screws). It looks like that middle piece is part of the outlet frame/body in mine, not separate at all. Maybe yours just broke? Anyway, after the faceplate is pried off with a screw driver, it looks to me like you can unscrew the outlet and then pull it down to unwire it. So I think you may be able to replace the outlet with a new one without needing to open up the floor in the overhead (it'll depend on if there's enough loose wiring to pull it down or not).
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

BobW9–glad you came back with that detailed description of actual outlet configuration. So much more helpful than what I had to offer.
David
BobW9

Post by BobW9 »

Only knew because I've had to do quite a few things in that overhead area (I added BlueSeaSystems USB outlets next to each of my AC outlets, ran wiring for a new battery monitor and Victron inverter monitor next to the Comfort Control box, and laid new DC wiring for some computer stuff I put in my front overhead). I think I've had to unscrew everthing and open that carpet flooring a half dozen times now :D
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Post by deppstein »

Now you’re making me jealous! I’ve done a lot to improve our Rig in terms of storage, road worthiness , and general functionality—but all within the context of existing 2004 vintage. Your improvements (particularly charging upgrades) are positively modern. Coupled with the structural integrity and layout of our original Chinooks you have, to my thinking, the best of all worlds!
David
Scott
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Scott »

In this pic you'll see a rotating clip at the upper left and lower right. These hold the outlet in place. From the OP's pic, it looks like one of those has broken or maybe the screw came out.

In these panel-mount RV-type outlets, the box and receptacle are one unit. The solid core wires go into the "vampire" terminals with a press fit, and the back cover snaps on. The whole scheme is a bit sketchy if you ask me, but it was the standard.
Attachments
outlet.png
1994 Premier
orionsauter

Post by orionsauter »

Finally got around to looking at this more – Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Scott had the key point: Those arms that swing out were not catching the ledge. Turning the screws to the left swings the arms in to remove the outlet, but if you keep turning, it also adjusts the arms to leave a wider gap. Similarly, if you turn the screws to the right, but the gap isn't big enough, the arms will hit the wall and the gap will get smaller. The method for getting the plug secure then is, turn left until you're confident the gap is big enough, then hold the plug in place and turn right until the arms grip the ledge. The picture attached will show what I mean (I hope). Thanks again!
Attachments
IMG_6425.png