has anyone ever replaced the Furnace?

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
RV-newb

has anyone ever replaced the Furnace?

Post by RV-newb »

hello, some of you might remember my previous post https://www.chinookrvforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2639 where I was considering purchasing a 2003 chinook concourse premiere.

Well I followed through with the purchase and am know knees deep in the gutting and demo portion of remodeling it.
2024-04-07-14-54-52-462.jpg

for some reason it puts the image sideways, just click on the attachment to see it proper.

One of the things I wanted to do was open up the floor plan, as such I've removed the benches which were in the Chinook, currently there is this hefty propane furnace, has anyone ever replaced one of these with a newer smaller model? any recommendations for that?
deppstein
**Forum Contributor**

Re: has anyone ever replaced the Furnace?

Post by deppstein »

I looked into replacing the stock 12000 btu furnace in my 2004 Premier with a more efficient/smaller footprint propane heater unit (Propex HS 2800 from propexheatsource.com) but opted to just upgrade to the Suburban 1600 SQ which has a slightly more efficient fan than the original stock but has the same hose configuration. Although I think the Propex is better, it requires hose and propane line modifications that I decided not to bother with…the efficieny improvement just didn’t seem worth it. I also did a quick-connect dryer hose mod on the vent port under the dinette so that I could connect a longer hose to direct heat out from under the bed when it is down…there is a post of what I did here on forum that you can check out (search topics for furnace upgrade). All in all, happy with the results. If I did a lot more boondocking and really was looking to conserve battery usage, I might have gone the Propex route.
Hope this helps. Other questions let me know.
David