Generator Noise

Everything to do with engines, options, upgrades.
dougm

Re: Generator Noise

Post by dougm »

It would do me no good to explain how mine is installed because my entire exhaust system is different than a stock Concourse due to the air suspension on the rear and a current generation Onan 4k which has a slightly different exhaust exit point out of the generator itself versus the original generator.
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

pdemarest wrote: April 16th, 2018, 10:23 am They also bent the final run of the exhaust pipe that extends slightly beyond the RV body so that it is now level to the ground...
I'm curious: How did yours sit before? I would describe my stock pipe as basically "level to the ground," so that caught my eye. Or do you mean that basically level wasn't good enough and it needed to be just a few degrees more perfect?

Here is my original pipe. It ends just at the right side of the photo. The larger pipe behind it is the stock Ford exhaust pipe.
Generator exhaust pipe.jpg
1999 Concourse
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Post by pdemarest »

Hey Blue - on my rig the pipe was angled slightly downward - at least an inch off level. I'm considering getting a Genturi and it requires the pipe to be more level in order for the device to "draw" the fumes up more effectively. Since I knew they would be cutting the pipe to insert the resonator I figured I'd have them level it out. It may seem odd to be putting money towards quieting down the generator when I have a roof covered in solar panels and will be using sites with hookups on this upcoming trip but my future plans call for fewer RV parks and sites and more dry sites. If I need to run the generator for A/C or the microwave when not hooked up I want to keep the noise down as much as possible. When I have more time I'm planning on putting Dynamat inside the generator enclosure to see if I can get the sound down even more.
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10