IKEA Interior Remodel

Post project writeups, ideas, DIY mods and off the shelf modifications and improvements. Also "Known Issues" and their resolutions.
Willywalderbeast

IKEA Interior Remodel

Post by Willywalderbeast »

So my wife has been itching to redo the outdated interior of our Chinook. So I sized out all the door fronts and off to ikea we went. I already knew what size I need for each door and we already knew the color we wanted, or at least we thought. Till we got there and all plans went out the window. They had some new colors and styles out and we decide to be BOLD with the color choice instead of playing it safe. SO we are going back this week to pick everything up and start the interior remodel. We have about 25days before we head x-country so the deadline is on!

Plan is to re-wall paper everything, Paint the cabinet backs, Install new doors, redo table cushion and refinish the table top. We already did a new stainless backsplash.

Top cabinets will be high gloss grey-green and the bottom will be high gloss beige. The wallpaper will be grey.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
HoosierB
**Forum Contributor**

Re: IKEA Interior Remodel

Post by HoosierB »

Sounds like an exciting undertaking for a remodel. Look forward to seeing photos of your progress!
"Wanda" – '01 Chinook Concourse XL V10
Willywalderbeast

Brought one of the IKEA draw fronts to the local paint store and had them mix up a gallon of enamel paint. Did a good first sanding, then followed by multiple coats with sanding in between. It's coming out better then I thought it would with using a roller to be honest. BUT I'm contemplating buying a spray gun and shooting everything to get a super high gloss like the fronts. We'll see.

Paint, Sand, Repeat...
Attachments
image.jpeg
bolerama

Post by bolerama »

I can't wait to see your end result. I don't have a Chinook yet (I search daily); however, I've been planning how to remodel the oak cabinets, so I'm following your thread. I love the IKEA high-gloss cabinets. I have high-gloss grey in my bathroom at home.

The oak panelled doors don't work for us. We currently have a 2008 Airstream International and love the modern aesthetics. Our Airstream has frosted sliding doors on the upper cabinets. I'm considering that option. I also like the look of aluminum tambour doors, but that could be too expensive.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Lisa
2002 Chinook Destiny
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud (full-time home) https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2008 Airstream International CCD --"Atomic Pod" (gone to a new home)
1973 boler (13' fiberglass egg) --"The Boiler" (gone to a new home)
Willywalderbeast

Hi Lisa
Yea not much tops the aesthetic of an airsteam. We only have till the 23rd to get things done before were taking the rv back across country where it will stay till February. So this is just a quick refresh really, which should hold us over for a year or so while we spend money elsewhere on the rig (suspension, tires, custom bumpers, full respray). Then hopefully down the road we are going to do a major interior overhaul once some of our other non-rv projects are done.

We actually just bought new dark wood flooring were going to try to get done before the trip too! So much to do, so little time to do it haha.
bolerama

Post by bolerama »

Tick tock!

The 23rd is quickly approaching. Please post pictures once you finish. It sounds like a beautiful decorating scheme.

Lisa
2002 Chinook Destiny
Willywalderbeast

Pulled out the two pieces of black walnut butcher block I had left over from a kitchen remodel we did recently. Should work perfect with the colors for the counter top and table!
Attachments
image.jpeg
bolerama

Post by bolerama »

Wow! That's gorgeous!

Lisa
2002 Chinook Destiny
Willywalderbeast

I Hate Sanding!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

Life is sanding. And sanding, and sanding... :mrgreen:
1999 Concourse