We sold the house and hitting the road

Real-time updates from forum members actively traveling.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: We sold the house and hitting the road

Post by pdemarest »

Our Chinook is white and gold (swoop design). The one Chinook we did see was a white and tan so maybe it was the same unit.

Custer State Park does have a lot of burnt trees but to their credit that are actually clearing all the dead ones and grabbing ones that have some sort of beetle infestation at the same time. Many of the trees died due to the fire but the centers are still good enough for lumber so the park has contracted with lumber firms to get the dead stuff out. The park will actually make a lot of money from the lumber which will go to reseeding and park maintenance.

Those burros are elusive. We saw them one day from a distance but they were behind a fence that was far from the road. On our last day they were right out in the middle of the wildlife loop road, working the crowd for treats. They will come right up to you and if you're not feeding them fast enough they nudge you with their muzzles to speed up the dinner service! At one point I was surrounded by four of them, all pushing each other to get to the apple slices we were handing out. Even though there are signs everywhere saying not to feed the animals when the ranger arrived on scene he told us that the burros are a huge hit with visitors so they kind of look the other way when people are feeding them.

Another place to visit that's nearby is The Mammoth Site. Its a museum and active dig at a prehistoric pond that had steep, slippery sides. Mammoths came there to drink but then couldn't get up out of the pond so they drowned/starved. There are over 60 skeletons and remains on the site, which is actually covered by the building that houses the museum, the dig and the mandatory gift shop.

Envious of your travels - keep on posting!

Paul
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Stopped by the University of Notre Dame after leaving Elkhart. What a beautiful campus. Worked our way down to St. Louis where we will stay for a few days with relatives.Update in a few days.
Attachments
A3DF4CAB-CAEA-4EC7-9F8C-C51D3FF31C85.jpeg
BBBAC59F-B8D4-4D32-B63D-3255254633B2.jpeg
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

We went to a Cardinal game the other night. The ‘ new ‘ Busch Stadium is really nice but the food and drink prices were crazy high. There is so much electronic information to absorb placed around the field it distracted me from the game, but I enjoyed all of it. Even the $11.50 pastrami hot dog.
Attachments
4974F4B9-5A96-48E3-8F1C-A7941C4546C1.jpeg
4B5915F6-FD02-4CFF-8E0D-C143FF3193A6.jpeg
A8ABFE50-4DFD-491D-BC6D-2E36956B1076.jpeg
7569DFAF-FFFD-452E-9C41-5D1224F0CFD5.jpeg
Xatlatc
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Xatlatc »

Before we started this adventure, we lived in the Upstate of South Carolina on a lake called Lake Keowee. Beautiful mountain fed water, emerald colored coves, Blue Ridge Mountains in the distance and a town like Mayberry nearby. Two hours to Atlanta and two hours to Charlotte. I bought a nine year old used pontoon boat and used it almost every day. Even in the winter I would put Christmas lights on it and cruise around on this 18,000 acre lake. During the summer, I really enjoyed putting on my life vest and headphones and listen to a Braves game while floating in the water. I remember telling my wife that the saddest part of going for a boat ride was returning to the dock. And that’s how I feel now.
I dropped my wife off in St. Louis a few days ago so she and her sister could go on their annual trip to Saint Simons Island then we’ll hookup again next month, so now I’m going solo to the dock. Slowly and enjoying what’s left of the ride to the Upstate or Georgia and maybe Florida. I found a cancellation at Henderson Beach State Park for two nights so I’ll be in Destin tomorrow and I’ll have my feet in the warm waters of the Gulf tomorrow and once again, count my blessings.
A trip which I thought would be two or three months has turned into eight months and two days so far, almost 20,000 miles and the time of my life. Thanks to those who’ve followed us and to my wife Janet. Wow!
Attachments
Going counter clockwise from the SE
Going counter clockwise from the SE
SMan

Post by SMan »

Thanks for taking us with you. I have enjoyed all the pictures and posts!
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10
Blue~Go

Post by Blue~Go »

It really has been an epic trip. Like Sman said - thanks for taking us all along!
1999 Concourse
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

I missed hearing your updates and the photos. When are you going to be on the road again? :)
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
Skillet

Post by Skillet »

Thanks for all the pictures and stories that went along with them. I can't believe it's almost a year since we were hanging out in your driveway. Hope to see you again one of these months!
'02 Concourse where there's always a project going on...