Do you carry a spare tire?

Stuff that goes in your Chinook but isnt really part of your Chinook.
pdemarest
**Forum Contributor**

Re: Do you carry a spare tire?

Post by pdemarest »

Hi Kirah - that's a really good idea. Most of the time I'm on regular roads where I can get AAA to come out and change a tire. Its only when I decide that the Chinook is "sort of" an off road vehicle and take roads that are in the middle of nowhere that I would wind up changing a tire myself so leaving it at home is a good solution.

One other thing; If you find a good cell phone booster let us know. There's a million of those out there but I wonder how effective they are so when you find one let us know how it goes. Thanks!
Paul Demarest
2003 Premier V-10
Kirah
**Forum Contributor**

Post by Kirah »

pdemarest wrote: December 19th, 2018, 12:08 pmOne other thing; If you find a good cell phone booster let us know. There's a million of those out there but I wonder how effective they are so when you find one let us know how it goes. Thanks!
Will do. My current understanding is that they work, but that the range of what's possible is not as spectacular as we might hope :lol:
1999 Premier, now minus all passenger side cabinets and appliances :twisted:
sm350bl
**Forum Contributor**

Post by sm350bl »

I would heavily lean on the side of yes for carrying the spare tire. for me at least I try to stay self contained for roadside repairs. even if AAA is available, who knows how long it could be before they actually get to you and what not. if I didn't have a spare, i would at the very least have a plug patch kit and a some sort of a air compressor.
Rich
2000 Concourse 7.3L Powerstroke 4X4
chin_k
**Forum Contributor**

Post by chin_k »

Patch kit is better than nothing, but from what I see along the road, when a tire blows on a RV, a lot of the time it is not a simple nail or road debris that you can use the patch on. It is the 20% that the tire is beyond repair that you need the spare. I would definitely carry a spare (and my compressor) when I heading to Mojave Desert in my next trip, but I may take the spare (and the awning??) off if I am going to a local camp group with nice paved road.
2000 Concourse dinette, on 1999 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis
SMan

Post by SMan »

Different strokes. I'll keep carrying a spare for the foreseeable future. I do carry a tire (plug) repair kit, fix-a-flat (hope never to use), electric impact wrench, and small compressor (not one of the cheap plastic type). with my 5 ton bottle jack. I have roadside assistance with my insurance but don't have great confidence that it will be timely (or good).

On a related note had a pesky slow leak repair that Les Schwab just fixed on an inner dually today in prep for our trip to Arizona next month. Turned out to be a valve stem. As usual no charge.
Steve aka SMan
2004 Premier V10