New Front Suspension

Everything about Chinooks that isn't option specific. Please check if your post is more appropriate in another category before posting here.
Merman0214

Re: New Front Suspension

Post by Merman0214 »

Doug, the wife (Texas Turtyle) and I just purchased a 2001 Concouse last weekend. I would like to add a lift kit to our vehicle. I found your post on the trials and tribulations you have been through. Are there any updates to your story? Thanks
Merman0214
2001 Concourse TEXAS TURTYL
Tyler, Texas
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

Make sure to check out the offerings from action van too. I was considering their products when considering a 4" lift but went with a different approach resulting in about 2" of lift.

http://www.actionvansuspension.com/
1997 Chinook Concourse, over 200,000 Miles
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

b6fischer wrote: July 22nd, 2018, 3:46 am Make sure to check out the offerings from action van too. I was considering their products when considering a 4" lift but went with a different approach resulting in about 2" of lift.

http://www.actionvansuspension.com/
Bill, Action Vans lift kit could get you possible 5", for $2089 for kit. So lets call it $417 per inch plus someone needs to install, Action Van estimate 10 hr project, was your significantly less than this?

I am thinking I will need more like 4 inches min, so your looking at $3k plus, easy. I will be stopping by Roy's this week to see what they advise.
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

$677 Rear springs, shackles, ubolts delivered to my door (includes $125 Shipping)
$120 Front Coil Springs
$380 (4) Bilstein Shocks

Labor for Front was $400 and rear (including new rear brake Hdwr) $1,000\
Merman0214

Post by Merman0214 »

Bill, I’m going to check with Action. When I originally read this thread, I thought you had included where you had your work installed. Now I cannot seem to find it. Could I trouble you for contact info on the shop that performed your work?
Thanks,
Ken
2001 Concourse “TEXAS TURTYL”
Merman0214
2001 Concourse TEXAS TURTYL
Tyler, Texas
b6fischer

Post by b6fischer »

NOt a worry! The folks at Roy's are just good working people, primarily work on area trucks, but there are always a few RV's around too. They installed my rear springs/shocks. I'd have them install a lift kit for sure. Be prepared to get your job bumped if one of their regular business customers comes in with a down truck. Every town has a company like this and glad I have one.
Roys.JPG
dougm

Post by dougm »

Merman... i have updates some positive and some not, however i am waiting until i have completely resolved the steering issues before i post another novel. Unfortunately i found another huge error on Weldtecs part that contributed further to the poor vehicle handling issue. I have been in contact with Jeremy about what went on as well as the latest discovery and to date he is quite reasonable in attempting to resolve matters so it can be put to rest. As a side note to readers.... my Chinook is not setup like yours, my entire rear suspension has been removed and replaced with a complete air suspension system, with that said my chinook by nature of the different rear suspension is going to exhibit characteristics yours doesnt and vice/versa. Its been a long road for me getting this combination to work properly, with that said i do currently have 99% of the issues resolved but i am waiting on a set of brackets from weldtec so i can get the chinook in for one more alignment. I guess my point being... please dont expect that you will have the same nightmare i did just because our chinooks look the same, theyre not.
68camaro
**Forum Contributor**

Post by 68camaro »

dougm wrote: August 3rd, 2018, 2:13 am Merman... i have updates some positive and some not, however i am waiting until i have completely resolved the steering issues before i post another novel. Unfortunately i found another huge error on Weldtecs part that contributed further to the poor vehicle handling issue. I have been in contact with Jeremy about what went on as well as the latest discovery and to date he is quite reasonable in attempting to resolve matters so it can be put to rest. As a side note to readers.... my Chinook is not setup like yours, my entire rear suspension has been removed and replaced with a complete air suspension system, with that said my chinook by nature of the different rear suspension is going to exhibit characteristics yours doesnt and vice/versa. Its been a long road for me getting this combination to work properly, with that said i do currently have 99% of the issues resolved but i am waiting on a set of brackets from weldtec so i can get the chinook in for one more alignment. I guess my point being... please dont expect that you will have the same nightmare i did just because our chinooks look the same, theyre not.
Doug, have all your issues been fixed to your satisfaction? Do you think they have proper bend in I-beams now?
2001 Concourse XL Lounge model, 6.8L Ford E350 Triton V-10 Chassis.
dougm

Post by dougm »

I cant answer that question, the first set that were sent to me were not properly bent. Weldtec removed those at their shop after i drove it to them. They installed a new pair but the caster/camber issue continued, even the shop that weldtec had align the vehicle stated the drivers side was still off by a full half degree even after weldtec replaced everything. I have some drop brackets which should help with the issue, however i havent had time to install them yet so obviously i havent taken it in for another alignment. I installed a rear panhard bar which eliminated whats called tailwag that affects steering also. Installing the panhard bar requires disconnecting one of the rear shocks to mount a bracket, when i disconnected the shock i found that the rear shocks weldtec installed were fully extended with the truck at rest.... meaning if one side of the truck went threw a pothole the suspension could not articulate resulting in huge jolts. I contacted them and they sent me new shocks that are 3 inches longer to take care of that issue, however its just one more thing on the list that never should have happend. I cant state one way or another if i would recommend their product even when i have mine 100% resolved. All i can tell you is that Jeremy has in fact been quite reasonable in working with me to iron this mess out. IMO part of the issue is the I beams are bent specifically for a standard E-350 van, the problem is that the chinook is far heavier in the rear which tends to unload the front suspension more than a standard van chassis. If the rear is not raised in unison with the installation of this kit you will have nothing but problems attempting alignments.
WeldTec Designs

Post by WeldTec Designs »

Doug,
We are very SORRY for the huge ordeal this was in lifting your Chinook. It was Definitely a unique one with your rear suspension setup. I am glad in the end you were able to get your alignment corrected with the additional parts we supplied you with.
As for the rest of the Ford Chinooks we typically don't have these issues.
I have included a link to another Chinook we just completed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65TNK3hKUsc